IDDRI and the National Business Initiative (NBI) organise this interactive session and knowledge sharing between South African and EU experts. Programme
IDDRI and the NBI are working to support individual businesses and sectors in exploring what deep decarbonization pathways could look like for heavy emitting industries and value chains in South Africa and globally. As part of our research and engagement, we are facilitating a South Africa-EU dialogue on long-term industrial pathways in collaboration with business and policymakers.
This event is the first in a series of engagements that will form part of the South Africa-EU dialogue on just industrial transitions. The series aims to promote constructive discussions about decarbonization pathways, investment opportunities and policy-related enablers for effective transitions from a business perspective.
This first dialogue, held on May 19, will begin with a plenary session for the South African and EU policy and decision- makers to frame technical decarbonization pathways for a Just Transition to a carbon neutral economy and the role industry and international cooperation are expected to play.
Key speakers include:
- Sébastien Treyer, Executive Director, IDDRI
- Joanne Yawitch, CEO, NBI
- Riina Kionka, EU Ambassador to the Republic of South Africa
- Nomfundo Tshabalala, Director-General of the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and Environment, South Africa
- Crispian Olver, Executive Director Presidential Climate Change Coordination Commission, South Africa
We will then have the opportunity to unpack concrete challenges, enablers across value chains and emerging opportunities for collaboration between South Africa and the EU, specifically for steel. We will also take a deep dive into understanding what examples of South African and European private sector-driven decarbonisation pathways look like for specific industries including chemicals, minerals and cement as part of a Just Transition.
Each sector-level breakout session will include the following:
- Sector decarbonization pathway in South Africa
- Sector decarbonization pathway in Europe
- SA & EU Business facilitated Q&A session on international value chains and trade, technology development and cooperation and country-wide visions implication
- Facilitated discussion on bilateral collaboration opportunities, identification of opportunities for investment, foster knowledge/ solution exchange and identify key enabling policy options