A day dedicated to biodiversity governance, organised as part of COP14 of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).
Organisers: IDDRI, FNI, PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, Strathclyde University, SwedBio/SRC, UN Environment,UNEP-WCMC, Agence Française pour la Biodiversité (AFB).
The overall aim of the day is to consider the question of how biodiversity governance can become more transformative, and where biodiversity policy could improve, on which achievements of the CBD we can build and where changes are needed.
Focussing on the question of what would make biodiversity governance ‘transformative’, and what this would imply for the post-2020 global biodiversity framework and its implementation, topics for the day include:
- What does a transformative change perspective imply for the international governance of biodiversity? What underlying structural drivers, often connected to institutional and legal frameworks, of biodiversity loss need to be addressed?
- How can various global environmental goal frameworks, such as biodiversity, climate change, sustainable land management, better support each other, including in the light of the Sustainable Development Goals?
- What can be the role of the Rio Conventions and the biodiversity-related convention in making the synergies agenda truly transformational? How to move towards enhanced implementation of decision of Rio-Conventions, other biodiversity-related conventions and the SDGs? How to facilitate the contribution of non-state action to the post-2020 global biodiversity framework.
- What measures and approaches are necessary to mainstream biodiversity in sectors with the highest impact and dependence on biodiversity? How can improved management, legal and regulatory systems help?
- What lessons regarding non-state action can be drawn from the Paris Agreement and other international conventions related to biodiversity and how to make the positive ones operational in context of CBD?
- Enhancing international funding to support national efforts to strengthen the rule of law and governance approaches to implement biodiversity goals.
- What would be options for a synergistic design of the next strategic plan? What has been achieved with the current Strategic Plan, the MDGs and SDGs, and what needs to be improved ?